Channel: AWOL - The Ancient World Online
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 12535

Open Access Journal: Kelsey Museum Newsletter

[First posted in AWOL 1 November 2010. Updated 23 January 2018]

Kelsey Museum Newsletter
Kelsey Museum Newsletter Fall 2017
The Kelsey Museum is the brainchild of Francis W. Kelsey, Professor of Latin at the University of Michigan from 1889 to 1927. Kelsey pursued an active program of collecting antiquities for use in teaching, and launched the first university-sponsored archaeological excavations in the Mediterranean and Near Eastern regions in 1924. Most of the artifacts in the Kelsey Museum come from excavations carried out in Egypt and Iraq in the 1920s and 1930s.
In 1928, shortly after Kelsey’s death, the Museum of Classical Archaeology was installed in Newberry Hall on State Street. It was renamed in honor of Professor Kelsey in 1953, and enlarged with the construction of the William Upjohn Exhibit Wing in 2009. In addition to conserving and exhibiting its collections, the Museum still sponsors field projects in countries around the Mediterranean (although the artifacts recovered in those excavations now all remain in their countries of origin), and it plays a vital role in undergraduate and graduate teaching and research.
Older Newsletters (HTML)
Older Newsletters (PDFs)
Fall 1999 Spring 1999
Fall 1998 Spring 1998
Spring 1997 Fall 1996
Spring 1996 Fall 1995
Winter 1995 Fall 1994
Fall 1993 Spring 1993
Fall 1992 Spring 1992
Fall 1991 Spring 1991
Fall 1990 Spring 1990
Winter 1990 Fall 1989
Spring 1989 Winter 1989
Fall 1988 Spring 1988
Fall 1987  

Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 12535

Latest Images

Trending Articles

Latest Images