What is cinnabar? What is a rhyton? The Getty vocabularies contain structured terminology for art, architecture, decorative arts and other material culture, archival materials, visual surrogates, and bibliographic materials. Compliant with international standards, they provide authoritative information for catalogers and researchers, and can be used to enhance access to databases and Web sites. The Getty Vocabularies grow through contributions. The vocabulary data is available for licensing and accessible free of charge below for more limited online use.
Catherine wheel or rose window? AAT is a structured vocabulary, including terms, descriptions, and other information for generic concepts related to art and architecture.Mona Lisa or La Gioconda? CONA, a new vocabulary now accepting contributions, includes titles, attributions, and other information for art and architecture.
London or Londinium? TGN is a structured vocabulary, including names, descriptions, and other information for places important to art and architecture.Titian or Tiziano Vecellio? ULAN is a structured vocabulary, including names, biographies, and other information about artists and architects.
Getty Vocabularies as LOD: A project plan is under development for publishing the four Getty vocabularies as LOD successively, beginning with the AAT. It is anticipated that the data will be published as SKOSextended format under the ODC-BY 1.0 license. The current plan is to also continue providing the data as relational tables and XML. More details, along with information about the time line and status of this project, will be posted on the Vocabulary Program site.
- In 2011 we worked with Marcia Zeng to develop a mapping of AAT to SKOS extended
- In late 2012 we began the ‘Getty Vocabularies as Linked Data’ project
- We identified our namespace as http://vocab.getty.edu
- We worked with attorney to identify what type of CC license we are intending to use
- We worked with an outside consultant to explore turning the mapping into published linked data
- We are currently working on a prototype for AAT
- Complete the prototype for AAT
- Draft specifications for publishing AAT, TGN, ULAN, and CONA as Linked Open Data
- Explore the possibilities for outsourcing some of the work
- Begin the implementation
- Our current target is to have AAT available as LOD sometime in 2013