The Horatio Herbert Kitchener map was published in London in 1885, as a result of the first scientific survey of Cyprus and became a cartographic standard until the middle of the 20th century. This map contains a wealth of valuable information of geographical, historical and cultural interest for the island. Much of this information still needs careful investigation by the scientific community.
This is the 2nd version of the interactive web application for exploring the maps produced from Kitchener's survey of Cyprus. The new functionality includes (among others):
- Revised georeference of the Cyprus map and its thematic layers with improved geometric accuracy
- Exploration of Nicosia and Limassol city plans
- Improved graphical interface
The 1st edition of the web app is available from this link.
This web application provides the ability to explore three maps from the Kitcener survey, namely:
- the map of the entire island of Cyprus ,
- the map of Nicosia city as well as
- the map of Limassol city
And see AWOL's Roundup of Resources on Ancient Geography