[First posted in AWOL 28 May 2018, updated 28 April 2021 (new URLs)]
- A resource development project that will confront a unique challenge in the gazetteer eco-system: a gazetteer of historical roads to support the creation of linked open road datasets.
- The alignment process will be done not just by places conceptualised as dots, but through unique roads or road segments connecting sets of places.
- Linking with other Pleiades-linked resources will be enabled based on the places associated with each road (segment) URI.
- This project is a proof-of-concept to allow implementing the proposed methodology to the full spectrum of historical road networks by a community of users.
- The method will be tested by adding a new data resource linked to Pelagios: the most up-to-date and accurate digital dataset of Roman roads in the Iberian Peninsula.
How? – Innovation
- Change of perspective: in this gazetteer the roads become nodes and the places become edges.
- URIs will identify routes documented in historical sources. Within each element, relevant information will be stored: places, chronology, bibliography, images…
- Enhance the currently limited aggregation and openness of digitised information about historical routes.
- Support all future research on historical roads by providing the first platform with unique references to road (segments).
- Establish a focal point for the community of those interested in historic roads, enabling discussion, adding roads and sources, and correcting them.
- These resources will facilitate future historic road data collection and improve the accuracy of existing road datasets.
And see AWOL's Roundup of Resources on Ancient Geography